Tyre use restrictions coming to British karting in 2017
The MSA has launched the tender process for a barcode system to track tyre usage within MSA karting from the start of 2017 to the end of 2019. Prospective suppliers need to send their proposal in by 29th July.
As well as technical details to make the system user-friendly and cost-effective for clubs and organisers, some details are included that suggest how it might work for drivers.
Extracts from requirements:
- As a minimum, track the number of instances the tyres have been logged for use, and when the competitor has been given permission to use new tyres.
- Cater for tyres being reused by a different competitor, e.g. to cater for the sale of used tyres or for a team which hires out karts to different drivers. The database must flag up the original user / history of all users using such a tyre.
- Allow for the input of meeting details, to allow competitors tyres to be assigned to individual events / championships which they are competing in. The database must allow for software to create multiple tyre regulations, which may differ between events and/or championships. e.g. one championship may allow for 1 set on slick tyre per event, whereas another may restrict the use of tyres to 1 set per every 3 events.
- Be searchable by
- Competitor licence number and name, to show currently allocated tyres and all old tyres allocated to the competitor, including a list of events attended.
- Barcode, for instance for a tyre that has been incorrectly discarded and should display the details of the last recorded user, including details of all previous users.