Gearbox news from the June ABkC Newsletter
The latest ABkC Newsletter included several immediate and planned changes for long and short circuit gearbox karting.
- There was a discussion on whether to allow the tuned long circuit 125 Open engines in short circuit. The decision was to apply to the MSA to add these engines to be eligible in 250 National in the same way as the new 175 engines. Currently there is very little demand for 125 Open in short circuit as the KZ UK class is most popular.
- A review of regulations for seats in long circuit decided no change was necessary but that head rests should be mandatory in long circuit.
- A review of rear bumpers, bodywork (and Bubbles) for superkarts is commencing.
- It was agreed to extend the approval for the Motiv air boxes.
- The tyre contracts for KZ1 and KZ UK are up at the end of 2016. It was agreed to extend the use of the Dunlop DFH in KZ UK for another year in order to judge the quality of the 2017 new homologations.
- The Bridgestones will not be permitted in KZ UK for 2017.
- For KZ1 the MSA will go out to tender for 2017 onwards, probably asking for a Prime (Medium) tyre.
- The ABkC recommends a reduction of the KZ1 class weight to 175kg.