British drivers in Oviedo: Thompson takes the Championship lead Posted on June 12, 2017
- Harry Thompson (RFM, Alonso/Vortex) was 5th overall from the fastest third Qualifying session, and 3rd after Saturday’s heats before moving up to 2nd after the heats on Sunday morning. He took the lead early in the Final but was retaken by Lulham and finished 5th, half a second from the lead group but was promoted to 3rd after penalties, and is now the Championship leader by nine points from Edgar.
- Chris Lulham (PSR, Tony/Parilla) was on pole from the third session, and won all his heats on Saturday. He struggled in his last heat but retained the lead of the class. He was overtaken by Thompson in the early stages of the Final but regained the lead later on before Edgar stormed through and finished 4th in the lead pack but was promoted to 2nd after penalties for Edgar and Genis Civico, and is now 3rd in the Championship.
- The Championship leader Jonny Edgar (Fusion, Exprit/TM) was fastest in the first Qualifying session but ended up 8th. In the provisional intermediate classification he had moved up to 5th on Saturday night. After a DNF in the last heat he started 17th on the Final grid and gained 12 places in the early stages of the Final, then in mid race he joined the lead pack and was able to take the lead ahead of Thompson and Patterson with Lulham dropping back to 7th. He held onto the lead to the end but was penalised for a dropped spoiler, handing the win to Mattia Michelotto. He has now dropped to 2nd in the Championship.
- Zak O’Sullivan (RFM, Alonso/Vortex) qualified 10th and was a consistent top five runner but had a problem in one of his heats on Saturday which meant he was 12th on the grid for the Final. He lost out at the start but worked his way through to 7th after the penalties and is now 5th in the Championship.
- Dexter Patterson (Fusion, Exprit/TM) took 2nd from the third session but had a problem in one of his heats on Saturday and again on Sunday but he retained 7th on the grid for the Final. He ran as high as 3rd in the Final as part of the lead group but dropped down the order in the fighting and after a penalty was classified 18th.
- Tom Joyner (Chiesa Corse, Zanardi/Parilla) was 29th in Qualifying and 13th in the Heats but in the Final he moved up 11 places to 2nd behind Pedro Hiltbrand at the finish after taking advantage of a slippery start in the rain on slicks. The race was stopped then resumed half an hour later when it was dry, after which Joyner overtook Lorenzo Travisanutto for 2nd. He is now 8th in the Championship.
- Finn Kenneally (BabyRace, Tony/Vortex) was 20th in Qualifying and moved up to 16th in the Heats but in the Final he dropped out on lap 2 after a problematic start.